Thursday, August 9, 2012

last locks 3, 2, 1 finished

Lock Three is the official Center for the Welland Canal. There is a view stand where people can watch us struggle with the procedure and then watch as we descend. We had quite a crowd, I informed them it was as hard as it looked. I was hot, thirsty, tired, did I mention hot and still two more locks. The good thing, I had a few minuets for a much needed break and to get some water.
Lock 3 viewing platform


on to Lock two
Bascule bridges are a direct descendant of the medieval draw bridge. built to handle
shore canal crossing. The secret is in the counterweight which balances the draw span so effectively that only a modest amount of power is needed to raise it.  Also they open on demand. We kept one open over 15 minuets before we got through. Everyone waved Hi - I think it was HI


Last Lock
no we weren't the ones to damage the lock - 
spill way


we are out and on the way to St Cathrines

No comments:

Post a Comment