Sunday, November 18, 2012

From McClellanville to Charleston

Saturday 11-17
If it is possible, it is colder today than it was yesterday with all the rain. We were up early to take advantage of high tide. There were several places on today's route with warnings about shoaling at low tide. We also would deal with currents and crowding. Everyone is trying to get south. The ICW has the addition of sail boats coming in from the Atlantic where there are heavy seas and wind gusts over 30 miles per hr.
We had two bridges that we needed to get under. The Ben Sawyer Highway bridge a single pivot swing bridge only opened on the hour. We had 5 other sail boats that were jocking for position is some very risky areas. The current was strong so even at idle we were going over 2kts. 
I will admit I made a lot of excused to spend time down in the cabin. With regular rounds of Hot Coco and I heated up water for my hot water bottle, ham sandwiches, you name it time below meant getting out of the cold.
 We did have some porpoise that came up and swam by our boat riding our wake for over five minuets. I got a great video of them. If you don't do face book, send me a note and I will email it to you- it is great.
I still got some great bird photos, we saw the ocean, and finally made Charleston harbor where there was a sail boat race going on. 
We also have a leak - yep water in the bilge when we run our engine full out. Tied to the dock Tom cleaned all the salt water off and could not see where we were leaking intake water. 
Always and adventure. 
  
South Carolina is called the Palmetto State. Most of the palms are Cabbage
(Sabal) Palmettos. 
Ibis - flying low 
Now this is a walk to your boat. High tide and a lot of it was
awash
I believe these are Long-Billed Dowitchers
read the sign - 
a small piece of land still above water and crowed

Atlantic ocean - strong currents in this section around the Isle of Palms


I have to wonder if trespassing and hunting are really a
problem????


Ben Sawyer Highway Bridge
a dog on Sol De Ole - one of the sail boats with us, I think
he is looking for an escape route.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment