Thursday, January 31, 2013

Snorkeling day in Nassau

WOW,  all I can say is WOW
Tom and I have been chill-in on the boat, reading and just loafing. Tom did fix the galley faucet but that has been the extent of our excitement. Quite a few boats left today, winds have died down considerably to almost no wind. Outlook is better for Sunday to Wednesday so we were up for an adventure. We bought fins and mask while in the Keys so it was time to use them. There is the Bahama dive shop about a 10 minute walk from our marina and we booked a trip for this afternoon. 
I am hoping that the little disposable camera I bought has a few good pictures because it was wonderful. They have little zip lock bags of "fish food" - looks like dog kibble to me - but I got a bag and strapped on a waist float devise and took the plunge. 
WOW
It is amazing to see these creatures up that close - and I did get up close and personal. I put the bag of fish food in the fold of my swimsuit top - Have you ever tried to re-zip a zip lock bag under water while fishes are very determined to get what is in the bag. I finally abandoned any hope of carefully doling out the food when they were tickling me every were and I really did not want to tempt fate. This is hard food.  No video  :) 
We had a great time then a wonderful Bahamanian dinner at Poop Decks. It rained while we were there - a beautiful rainbow- our hatches open back at the boat. 

Life is grand in the islands 
where we caught our  Dive boat
enjoying the sun  on the deck of our dive boat
if  you look close our mast is just to the right of the power boat

Fort Montagu Nassau Bahamas was finished the latter end July, 1742, and mounted eight 18, three 9, and six 6 pounders. Within the fort is a terraced cistern, containing thirty tons,of ram water and so contrived as to receive all that falls within the fort, with a drain to carry off the superfluous water; there are barracks for officers and soldiers, a guard room, and powder magazine, bomb proof, to contain ninety-five barrels of powder; two of its sides are close upon the sea, and the two land sides are well secured by mastich pallisades.
yep that is me snorkeling
Tom 
little hungry fishes
Arthur one of our crew
rain on the horizon

Our first rainbow in the islands
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment