Saturday, January 19, 2013

Charlie the Conch - a Trip to North Bimini 1/19

Today was a down day, we were surprised when the row of sailing vessels all left this morning - the weather predicted thunderstorms. I am a little cowardly about that especially when you can see the cells coming up and across. We decided to sit tight and wait for tomorrow. We got the dingy out and went to North Bimini. There is a whole different life here on the islands. I got a dress thing to wear. We had Cracked Conch sandwiches at Captain Bobs ( under normal circumstances I would not have set foot in the place, but the sandwich was good, fries greasy.)
We walked to the beach where I found conch shells in various states of decay. One had a critter in it. Tom thought it was a crab so I though I could coax it into another shell. 
What we had was a conch ( video on Facebook ) I freed the little critter sending him to a happy home I hope at the bottom of this harbor. 

We found a very, very, very small grocery store and purchased lemon juice for cleaning the hull, some pineapple juice to go with the rum we got, a great looking head of lettuce and two onions all for the low price of 18$. 
Next stop was the bakery for Bimini Bread and a small coconut, pineapple cream pie. Then back to the dingy and a very rollie ride to South Bimini.

We are getting things back in order for our departure. In two days we hope to be in the Berry's 

your can just see his little eye stalks and head











Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment