Monday, June 3, 2013

Departing Tarpon Springs


After a night of thunderstorms and torrential rain, Sunday dawned bright blue and calm, dead calm. My Osprey was high in its perch calling out to us as we stowed gear, and let loose the lines that had tied us to our dock for more than a week.  Turtle Cove is undergoing extensive renovation, and when it is finished, and if they stay true to their plan, it will be a great place to stay. We will be back in the fall. 

We left at high tide after a night of rain and it got confusing very fast. What was suppose to be dry land wasn't and we got turned around more than once. Finally we followed two fishing boat out to the main channel. Still no Wind.
I rigged up a sheet to keep the sun from the cockpit and we were off at 6.5 kts headed out into the gulf a 32 hour trip and 148.1 nm

I like to think it is saying good 


the water by our slip was still ... not even the fish were jumping

They tried very hard to tell us not to go that way, but we
insisted.   You never hear Pelicans make any sounds,
but  I do think I heard a giggle or two

Turtle Cove Marina
Just a mangrove tree in the middle of the channel
Our route across the gulf
At first we would see small power boats off in the distance, then
nothing. We had some Dolphins pop up. I got so excited I turned off
the Autopilot, which got Tom excited, and the Dolphins left when we slowed down.
Later I took a walk to the bow of the boat. A group of three dolphins heading south
turned and rode our bow. I waved, squealed, called for Tom, settled down and just Marveled.
The water is so clear you can make eye contact. They finally slipped free and went back to their
regular route heading south.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment