Monday, June 3, 2013

Day is done, Sun rise and journey almost done

With the sheet up keeping the glare of the sun out of the cockpit, Tom read, napped, read, napped, futzed with the chart plotter, napped. I worked on Counted cross stitch and fixed lunch and dinner, cleaned up the water in the bilge and napped (kind of) . Tom took first watch with a promise I would wake him at 2 AM. He had his life jacket on and tethered to the boat and i went below to try and get some sleep around 9:30 .... At 11 PM I heard a noise that woke me and found Tom napping in the cockpit.  We switched places. I tried valiantly to knit in semi darkness. Not a good idea, so I played boggle and watched the water. 

I realized there is a lot going on out there in the dark. I watched flying fish sparkle in the starlight, Large light shadows break the surface then splash below. Then one of those large shadows caused a large number of fish to take to the air and honest one hit me.  
Now I know it was 2 AM  but that dang fish hit me in the shoulder, my shirt was wet and fishy smelling.  Now here is my concern, I yelped.... loudly.... it scared the bejeebers out of me....
and Tom went on sleeping.  I then could imagine me dangling over the side of the boat tethered with my lifeline and Tom getting 40 winks. Now I am wide awake, looking for the fish just in case it made it into the boat. At 3 AM Tom joined me and then I went below to tired to think and fell asleep until sunrise.
Sunset in the Gulf of Mexico

Sun rise over the Panhandle of Florida

First time the chart said ship wreck and we actually saw
the shipwreck 
Stilt house on Dog Island


Pod of  Porpoise 

i got the splash 
got the nose of the Baby here
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment