Saturday, March 1, 2014

27 hours from Fort Myers Beach to Boca Chica Navy Marina lov



March 1st
we are in shorts and short sleeves!
We decided to make to jump south all in one trip. The waves were a little to a lot rollie, however by 2 pm we had enough wind to raise sails and so wing to wind until sundown. No dolphins this trip but we had a great sunset then a moonless sky with stars from horizon to horizon. We were tied to the dock at the Boca Chica Navy Marina by 11:30 AM fresh ice and just catching our breath.
I did get a chance to try out my new camera. I do have an Nikon D1000 that I love but no high-power zoom lens. They have a very hefty price tag on them as well as being heavy. I have a 35x zoom on my Fuji and up until now my close ups have been made with it. Panasonic Luminx came out with a 60x and I gave in finally and bought one. Some reviewers consider it heavy, but is turned out to be lighter than my Fuji. I think the photos came out great. and I am looking forward to catching more fish and fowl with this lens.
We are also treated to Navel fly overs, which are really quite loud.

Mom and baby Osprey 
one of the many Mangrove Islands
Naval Air Station Key West is located on Boca Chica Key, Florida. It is the second to last major island in the Florida Keys.
Key West is the southernmost city in the continental United States. It is 1.5 miles wide and 4 miles long, it sits 93 miles north of Cuba, 153 miles southwest of Miami and 24.5 degrees above the equator.
Emerald colored waters where the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean meet below the 42 bridges of the Overseas Highway make the three-hour drive between Miami and Key West especially beautiful.
leaving Moss Marina
Tom calling for our slip, first sight of Key West

love this palm tree

Key West 

all is quiet, a little roll but quiet



sunset 2.28.14





No comments:

Post a Comment