Wednesday, June 15, 2011

We made it to South Haven

Well trial by water today
First off the winds were not 10 to 15 k they were 20 + 
waves were not 1 to 2 feet they were 3 to five
we were going along fairly well - holding at 6+ knots and making good time
Then- the weather got rougher so we were bringing in the Jib when both snap shackles on the sheets broke.
Good news the Jib was mostly rolled in.
Then the pulley main sheet on the traveler for the boom broke sending our boom with sails off on its own.
Tom was great and we used the reef lines to finally anchor the boom and lower the sail in a heap.
Oh by the way all the water washing in over the bow sent a lot of hit down the anchor chain. Then our bilge pump became clogged so we have lots and lots of water. Also got some in from the Bath room vent.

We are battered, sore, bruised but in save harbor in South Haven. We will be here all of Thursday making repairs before we head south again in better weather.
Keep us in your thoughts and prays.
Laura and Tom

1 comment:

  1. You people are CRAZY!!!! You know I love you Laura...so I am not being mean...but I would not find this fun in a million years! Give me a beach where I can LOOK at the water! I know this is an adventure for you and Tom and I am jealous that you are so brave and, well...adventurous! So keep writing and entertaining us and I will enjoy the stories...but I'm glad it's not me on the boat!!!!

    Love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete