Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Going South.... again

Tuesday 10/21- going south
We had a wonderful, way too short of a visit with the Battle family, daughter Patty, granddaughter Laura and son-in-law Shawn. We had some sad news – Tom flew to Kansas City, Topeka-Salina, his sister passed. She had been ill but this was a very sudden turn that caught everyone off kilter.

We received mail from home, a lovely purse from Daughter Meghan, necklace from Patty and her family, b’day presents we finally caught up to.  Patty had an extra two slice toaster that I found room in a cupboard. I replaced throw rugs in salon and Jennie sent me a bread maker.  A few additions to turn our ship into a home. I have tried to pan fry bread, not the same as toasted. I did try toasting in the broiler, but black toast has never been my thing… I love my new toaster. We have lived on our boat(s) for two years and I am amazed how I thought of “what I wish I had” but had neither space nor power to actually bring on board. I never thought I would “really “use a microwave oven; tonight I cooked our complete dinner in one. Of course a lot depends on shore power vs anchoring out, we do have options now. As for my bread maker…. The smell was heavenly and when we go to the Bahamas I can make bread when we are in port and freeze.

Today a short spit rain, one errant cloud tried to call a halt to our leaving, nevertheless we persisted and Scott helped toss off lines. Our first bridge opened at 9 AM and we soon joined the parade of boats heading south.
One bridge down, several more to go then the Lock, The Great Bridge Lock- powerboats starboard, sail on the port side. We went up a whole 2’, it compensates for tidal surge. Until we get to Morehead City we will not have to deal with tides, just wind chop.
Happy to report no excitement even when we rafter to a power boat at Coinjock Marina… well Tom did step on the key, bent, cussed, we have spares.
Dinner in the microwave, knitting then early to bed for an early start.
Interesting co-winks-dink… we left Norfolk on 10/22/2012 when we made our first journey south. We are hoping to stay at Alligator River Marina tomorrow night. Also no huge tropical storms on the horizon.
L & T
On CHT
Lovely Granddaughter Laura at the wheel

Toasted English muffins, coffee and knitting

finished knitting this hat, Laura liked it and now
it will keep her warm this winter



Scott Creek Marina is a hidden gem... Docks may not seem like much
but staff is great, Laundry free, store has supplies, showers clean and
price is great

we will will miss our neighbors... makes you feel safe


Captain Tom at the helm
sunset at Coinjock Marina.. rafted to a power Sealine

we ended up in the middle coming out of the Great Bridge Lock




No comments:

Post a Comment