Sunday, November 13, 2011

morning Lake Michigan-Grand Haven



Sunday Morning - November 13th
Got up and went for my Sunday papers, a Starbucks coffee, and was surprised by the force of the wind. Instead of the leaves gently dancing down the street, they were tossed in whirl winds across the ground, until they hit an object.  On a whim, I decided to go to the lake and with my camera in the car, I set off for Grand Haven City beach.
Weather report is for Gale Warning through late tonight – Southwest to 40 knots, waves 8 to 12 feet.
Walking up the beach to the break water was an adventure, the waves chasing me inland the gulls trying to fly, their sounds swallowed by the wind.  It is impossible to describe the sound; better writers than I have tried. It is incessant, unrelenting, constantly changing sound. The waves roll and rise, pushed by wind to pull water and everything it can grab to the shore. The wind carries bits of leaves, water spray and sand, scouring sand that tugs and pulls at you from behind.
As with any walk with the wind to your back, you must turn around and face it. I found and in my hood, that I finally gave up on tucked into my coat. Eyes water, and cough and sniffles get lost insignificant annoyance as I walked back to the car. Maybe at sunset I will try the beach in Muskegon, winds are only 35 knots.

This looks like some prehistoric animal :)
























I love the patterns in the sand






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment