Monday, March 4, 2013

Part one Butterfly House Key West Florida

First off we managed to find a parking spot close to one of the many Trolley Tours that take people around the Key West Area.  After making a complete circuit of the area, we stopped and strolled down Duval street home to many famous restaurants  From shore to shore it is just a mile long. We stopped in Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, Kermit's Key Lime Pie, and Fresh produce to name a few. I really wanted to go the the Butterfly house, and after a delicious piece of Key Lime pie, Tom was ready for the adventure.
 The Conservatory Has 50 to 60 different species of butterflies and moths. You walk through the door and they are fluttering everywhere along with birds, that are there to keep aphids and other harmful  insects in check.  After just a few minutes, I was enthralled stopping to photograph everything; I was also sweating. They keep the Conservator approximately 85 degrees F. with a relative humidity of 80%. The temperature is about 5 degrees lower at night. These warm humid conditions are needed for the tropical plants and butterflies. A computerized controlled weather system continuously monitors and controls temperature and relative humidity.
I have tried to label as many of the butterflies as I could. 
As always if I have made an error let me know, and for those unidentified, if you know what they are send me their name vie e-mail.
"
Morpho Peleides
Blue Morpho
Morpho Peleides catapiller
Parthenos sylvia
Brown Clipper

There are plates of fruit set out all along the walk way where
butterflies can feed.





Falcate Orangetip
I tried to identify  this creature and every picture I found
says its a Black and White Butterfly


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment